Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Memories and old friends

 Dear Friend who shall not be named, 

I thought about you the other day. I hadn't seen or heard from you in years, (apparently about 30) but always wondered about you. The friend we had in common said he didn't know where you were or anything, and that he hadn't seen you around for a long time. (this was years ago when I asked him) 

I know when I was going through my separation and divorce we spent a lot of time together. You were part of my lifeline for hanging on. 

I remember smoking a lot of weed with you, when you could find it. We had some good times. I remember all the atrocious lies you would tell. But we all knew we couldn't believe anything you said. You were really bad at it. But you felt like family. Thank you for holding me when I was crying mourning the loss of my marriage, my child, and life as I knew it. 

Then, I googled you. 

I found your obituary. I'm glad you got married, I'm glad you had a child. It didn't mention an illness, just mentioned everyone that would miss you. Well, not everyone. I have missed you for a long time, but now I know I won't ever hear from you. 

Then I found the letter. The letter I found was written in 1992, when I was 10 hours away. I've been cleaning and found a file that had old letters in it. One of them was yours. I don't even remember getting it. You gave me validation in the letter, knowing someone cared. Even if it was a lie, I will believe it. You were very troubled and without purpose before I left, and I was heartbroken. We needed each other, but I couldn't stay. I'm glad you sent the letter. I'm glad I knew you. I will always miss you. 

It's so weird I find the letter just a few days after I found out you were gone. 12 years and I didn't know. 

I wish I could put my arms around you one more time.  

Still missing you my old friend. 


God bless.  

No comments: